Blog Post 4

So far, on Twitter I've been interacting with the #FSUEdtech hashtag. I like this feature because it centralizes all of our classmate's tweets into one spot. I can view different educational articles that were posted using the hashtag. There's no digging or searching to find information, which I enjoy. It's all right there and it's current. Ive also been able to view professional educational twitter accounts which is helpful because I trust the information posted on these accounts. Especially if the accounts are verified by Twitter. In my future career I couldn't see myself using Twitter much, since I ideally want to teach elementary aged students. But if I was teaching secondary education I could see myself using it to post announcements and speak directly to students with a class hashtag. It's a more casual setting and students are more likely to regularly check Twitter than email.

The digital divide creates a difference between students who have computer access and updated software at home and students who have no computer access at home, or very old software. Kids with at home access will have an advantage with assignments and skills needed for their future. Kids without access will rely solely on what they are able to learn inside the classroom. This divide is mainly caused by the technology student's parents can afford or want to purchase. So as a teacher, there's not much you can do to actually get a student an at home computer. I will have to work around that. If lots of my students have at-home access and a few don't, I will offer those few students extra before or after school computer lab time where I could help teach them skills. If lots of my students don't have access, I will implement lots of computer time into my regular teaching schedule so all students can benefit from learning new online skills.

I want to teach elementary aged students, as mentioned above. Because of this, the student software my class will use would be different from a secondary education class. Elementary school teachers typically teach all main subjects ranging from English to Science, so I will have many options when it comes to software functions. Young kids are extremely drawn to vibrant images and videos, so presentation software will be critical for me. Educational game software would also be amazing for an elementary setting. Games such as math arcade-style games. Students will be learning while interacting with sounds and earning points so they will feel like they're playing a game, when really they are retaining new information. I can not see myself using 3D software, imaging software, or photo-editing software with my students. This would seem extremely complex and specific for primary education. Maybe students could learn these in a separate art class though, I don't want to undermine the abilities of kids, I just wouldn't use these certain softwares in my standard elementary class.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 9

Blog Post 7

Blog Post 0 Learning styles